Roanoke's Phil Benne wins No. 300 as women's coach
From the Roanoke College Dept. of Athletics (see original release)
|Phil Benne, Roanoke women's coach, claims 300th career win.
Photo: Roanoke College Dept. of Athletics
Score: Roanoke 3, Southern Va. 0
Records: Roanoke, 3-0-1 / Southern Virginia 1-3-0
The Lead: Roanoke College head coach Phil Benne recorded his 300th career victory as the Maroons topped Southern Virginia 3-0 on Friday evening. Ashley Barnes had two goals and Marlana Barnard added a goal and an assist for RC.
How it Happened:
- Barnes scored her first goal of the game in the 26th minute off a corner kick set up by Barnard.
- RC doubled its lead less than three minutes later when Barnard scored on a deep free kick.
- The score remained that way until the 85th minute when Barnes scored from the top of the box to make it 3-0.
- RC outshot SVU 30-6 and held a 10-0 edge in corner kicks.
- Roanoke keeper Sarah Dvorak did not need to make a save in recording the shutout.
Roanoke will close out the Shellenberger Classic at Lynchburg College when it takes on Salisbury at 5:00 p.m.