Dogbey Leads Anchormen Past UMass Dartmouth, 1-0
Providence, R.I.--Senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) headed in his fifth goal of the season to propel the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory against UMass Dartmouth in a Little East Conference matchup played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 1, UMass Dartmouth 0
(UMass Dartmouth 3-5-1, 2-2 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 5-5-1, 3-1 LEC
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC got on the board in the 29th minute after UMass Dartmouth was whistled for a foul. On the ensuing play, junior midfielder Dennis Vazquez (Providence, RI) sent a free kick from 20 yards out into the box. Dogbey then headed in a shot just inside the far post from five yards out to put the Anchormen up 1-0.
• RIC took the one goal lead heading into halftime, despite UMass Dartmouth holding an 8-6 advantage in shots for the stanza.
• UMass Dartmouth had its best scoring opportunity of the contest in the 66th minute when senior Akere Tambi (Bamenda, Cameroon) blasted in a shot from the top of the box that was denied by a diving stop by RIC freshman Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI).
• Both teams had chances down the stretch, but neither could convert as RIC held on for the shutout.
• Tashjian (5-4-1) made four saves for RIC in the victory, while freshman goalkeeper Mike Tranghese (Monson, MA) (1-3) tallied five stops for UMass Dartmouth.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Both teams registered 13 shots in the game.
• The Anchormen had a 5-4 advantage in corner shots for the contest.
• The win stopped a two-game losing streak for the hosts. It was RIC's second, 1-0, shutout win of the year.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Worcester State on Tuesday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m.).