Video | Live stats | Live stats | Recap | Recap

October 28, 2018

#9 Rochester Picks Up Key UAA Victory Over Carnegie Mellon

After surrendering an early goal, the 9th-ranked University of Rochester men's soccer team rebounded well, earning a key 3-1 victory over visiting Carnegie Mellon University on Sunday afternoon at Edwin Fauver Stadium.
With the win, Rochester moves to 12-2-1 on the season and picks up three points in the UAA standings, pushing its conference record to 3-2-1.  Carnegie Mellon Falls to 10-4-2 overall and is now 2-4 in the UAA.
Junior Aidan Miller scored twice for the Yellowjackets, including the game-winning goal, while Zach Lawlor picked up the other tally for Rochester.  CMU's goal came from Nicolas Poveda.
In the opening minute of the contest, the Tartans tested UR's defense with a dangerous free kick from near midfield, hoping to have similar success that Case Western Reserve did on Friday in a victory over UR.  Rochester's defense defended it well though, clearing away the early opportunity.
The Tartans were able to open the scoring in the 7th minute.  After a long ball got sent in from the left side, Cooper Tubiana headed a shot which caromed off the cross bar, with the rebound being headed in for a goal from Poveda.
In the 24th minute, CMU looked to make it 2-0, but a header from Nick Isham sailed wide after a cross from teammate Philip Petrakian.
Rochester first good scoring chance came in the 33rd minute when a long free kick from Milan Fatschel was saved by Tartan keeper Alec Lam.  The rebound found the food of Simon Galviz, but his low skidding shot was blocked away by the defense for a corner kick.
UR then was able to notch the equalizer off a set piece at 36:24.  Lawlor was camped at the back post and headed in corner kick from Bryce Ikeda.
Five minutes later, Miller's first goal of the game gave the 'Jackets the lead off another corner kick.  Ikeda's initial corner was looking for Lawlor again at the back post, but the Tartan defense headed it away.  The ball then came down and Miller timed his leap perfectly and headed the ball past a diving Lam in the goal for the 2-1 lead.
The opening minute of the second half saw the Yellowjackets have a good possession deep in CMU territory, ending with a dangerous cross from Mitch Volis along the left wing, but his service was a bit too far ahead of Cristian Baltier and cleared away by the defense.
In the 57th minute, CMU's Elliot Cohen had a flick header off a right wing cross from Jack McCambridge which sailed just wide.
Four minutes later, Cohen had another shot with his strike from 28 yards finding the target, but UR's Patrick Conway was there to make a diving save.
After the save, Rochester countered and it led to the insurance goal.  At 61:27, Baltier streaked up the right sideline and sent a low pass into the box which found Miller 1-on-1 with Lam ten yards out.  Miller won that battle and sent the ball into the left side of the net, boosting the score to 3-1 Rochester.
The Tartans had another flick header, this time from Greg Bellwoar, in the 77th minute which sailed just wide of the net off a long free kick from Anthony Gulli.
Rochester's Alec Hay had a blistering shot sent just wide right of the CMU net in the 79th minute.
CMU's final chance of the day came early in the 84th minute when a chip pass from Jonty Nobbs was looking for a streaking Isham in the midfield, but Rochester's Conway was there to snuff out the play before the pass connected.
For the game, Carnegie Mellon held a 13-11 shot advantage, with Rochester holding a 5-2 lead in corner kicks.  Conway and Hugh Curran, who earned the victory after playing over 34 minutes in the opening half, each made two saves in the Yellowjacket goal.  CMU's Lam also made two stops.
Rochester concludes the regular season next Saturday when the Yellowjackets host Emory University for an 11 am game.  The Tartans return home and plays a nationally ranked Case Western Reserve squad that same day at 1 pm.

No contests today.
No contests today.
No contests today.